We received 221 responses from individuals and organisations in the Newlands community. They included:
- 213 received from individuals via the feedback forms either posted, completed online, or emailed to us.
- 8 received from organisations (the Architectural Centre Inc; Wellington Electricity Lines Limited; Newlands School; Marrich Residential Limited; Woodridge Homes Limited; Tirangi Trust; Tazbed Limited; and DMN Limited.
- Majority of respondents agree that as Wellington's population grows and people's housing needs change, the City needs a greater variety of homes near existing shops, services, public transport and public spaces.
- A small majority of respondents think that providing more homes is more important than preserving the existing character of neighbourhoods.
- Majority of respondents think that the size of the area covered by the draft MDRA boundary is ‘about right’.
- There is similarity between the number of respondents who think that the draft building standards should be more restrictive and those who think the draft standards are ‘about right’.
- Many respondents are concerned about the potential impacts an MDRA could have on the road network. In particular, respondents were concerned about congestion and safety at peak times, an increase of cars parking on the street and the impacts on the public transport system.
- The main messages relating to the draft building standards were:
• standards should require at least two off-street car parks per dwelling
• house designs should be of high quality
• there is support for a general height limit of two storeys
• protections should be provided to avoid natural light being blocked
- Some respondents commented that open, green areas in and around Newlands should be retained and/or expanded
- Some respondents were concerned about the perceived unfairness in relation to MDRA Plan Changes being on hold in Khandallah, Karori and Island Bay.
Summary of submissions
For further information, we have prepared a summary of submissions (600.9KB PDF).
What you think
The responses below were displayed and updated live during the consultation process. The total amount of responses reflected here does not include the late submissions we received.
We need more variety of homes
What's more important?
Preserving existing character
Providing more homes
The draft MDRA boundary is:
The draft building standards:
Should be more restrictive
Should be less restrictive